Sunday, June 29, 2008

Weekend Pundit Roundup

Like I said... I'm toning down the political aspect of this site... but you can't not have a weekend pundit roundup!!!

David Broder: Breaking! I've just discovered that George Bush spent nearly eight years dumbing down the presidency. Who knew? And they say I've lost my touch. Hah! Watch me make this bipartisan.


Peter Wehner: "I am a conservative evangelical, and even I am offended by James Dobson's dishonest critique of Barack Obama's theology." And believe me when I tell you that when it comes to conservative evangelical dishonest Democrat-bashing critiques, it takes a heck of a lot to offend me.


Frank Rich: A terror attack help McCain? An urban myth, like alligators in the NY sewers.

But let’s put ourselves in Mr. Black’s shoes and try out the Rove playbook at home — though not in front of the children — by thinking the unthinkable. If a terrorist bomb did detonate in an American city before Election Day, would that automatically be to the Republican ticket’s benefit?

Not necessarily. Some might instead ask why the Bush White House didn’t replace Michael Chertoff as secretary of homeland security after a House report condemned his bungling of Katrina. The man didn’t know what was happening in the New Orleans Convention Center even when it was broadcast on national television.


Peggy Noonan: How the mighty have fallen! Reagan's people could steal your wallet right under your nose and get you to blame your Democratic grandmother. McCain's people? "What a hotbed of incompetent manipulation they have become." Rank amateurs!

Y'know McCain ought to unleash his inner "straight talk express" and start telling people what he really thinks of George Bush. He'd still lose, of course, but at least it'd be a good deal more interesting than what we're getting from McCain now.


Gail Collins: On Barack and Hillary:

Do they really like each other? I think I speak for most of the nation when I say that on the list of things that keep us up at night, it does not make the top 1,000. It is, in fact, right down there with the fate of the Clinton campaign debt.

Well, I still can't figure out why he won and she didn't (they are so very similar to my eye), but can we start talking about Obama vs McCain now? It's time to move on.


Bob Herbert:

Congress and the public do not know nearly enough about the nation’s post-Sept. 11 interrogation practices. When something as foul as torture is on the table, there is a tendency to avert one’s eyes from the most painful truths.

It’s a tendency we should resist.


Maureen Dowd:

It’s hard to fathom why Obama should be mau-maued into paying off the debt that Hillary and Bill accrued attacking and undermining him, while mismanaging the campaign and their nearly quarter-billion-dollar war chest so horribly that one Hillaryland insider told The New Republic that it bordered on fraud.




No comments:

Your Info